Most of us have experienced vehicles breaking down on us. It’s inconvenient, and in most cases, expensive. It’s very easy to take for granted when our car is running perfectly. However, things don’t always work in our favor. It’s important to know the most common fleet maintenance mistakes to avoid so you can protect your fleet vehicles. Sometimes the most insignificant things can end up being a serious issue.
Here are some of the most common fleet maintenance mistakes:
- Not changing the windshield wipers– This one seems like a no-brainer but many people drive around with damaged wipers. Old, degraded wipers can leave streaks that prevent you from seeing the road clearly, let alone other vehicles.
- Ignoring the check-engine light– Do not ignore this light because the longer you wait, the higher the repair cost.
- Not having the brakes inspected when something isn’t right– If you hear a sound that isn’t normal, such as a squealing or grinding sound, it’s time for your brakes to be checked.
- Not checking the tire pressure regularly– Tire blowouts can happen even when your tire appears to be fully inflated. It’s important that you check your tires regularly, not just when your tire pressure light turns on.
- Skipping oil changes– A long engine life is contingent on regular oil changes.
- Neglecting fluid checks– Vehicles can break down simply for the fact that the driver did not pay attention to fluid levels in the vehicle. Brake fluid, transmission fluid, engine coolant and power steering fluid need to be checked to ensure a long term working fleet vehicle.
- Not using filters as recommended by the manufacturer– Clean filters protect the fuel, air conditioning systems and engine from contaminants such as dirt.
- Not rotating tires and failing to get a wheel alignment– This is one of the most forgotten but it’s one of the most important. The owner’s manual lists how often your tires need to be rotated. If this is overlooked it could potentially cost you a lot of money and your safety on the road.
- Servicing the vehicle yourself without the proper know-how– Leave the repairs to the professionals.
Flex Fleet Canada wants your time on the road to be smooth for you and your fleet team. Make sure you avoid these popular fleet maintenance mistakes, so you can get where you need to be.